Monday, October 23, 2006

On friday Craig had logged a call that he was facing some problem with his laptop keypad. The keys did not write what they were supposed to. To diagnose it I had to reboot the laptop and go to preinstallation mode by pressing F2 and then run the diagnostics.
It came up with the error in keypad. I logged a call with Dell and talked through the problem. Just to make sure the guy asked me to run the diagnostics CD which comes with the dell laptops. Went through that and confirmed the problem. A new keypad was confirmed to be shipped. I have recieved it today but Craig's outside the office for today.

Nigel Garrett, Sales Director needed a memory upgrade on his machine. I called him to find out his present configuration. Asked him to scan his machine buy going to site http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and following the appropriate steps. But he could not complete the scan since it required some additional hardware information. I took the control of his machine and tried to figure it out. I did manage to find the specs and the possible upgrade. Now the problem was that I required the DIMM for his RAM which was not showing up anywhere. I tried system configuratio tool and even tried to find from preinstallation mode but it was not mentioned anywhere. The last option I was left with was to send someone to physically open his box and find the DIMM spec. At last I had it and then created a purchase order and forwarded to Nigel. He got it signed and forwarded it to me. All that I was left with was order it online from crucial memory using the company credit card.

No comments: